We are currently looking for an experienced Transport Supervisor to join our rapidly expanding client in Bedford on a permanent basis. This is a night shift, 10pm - 7am
OVERALL JOB PURPOSE
To support the Transport Manager in the provision of a high quality, cost effective transportation service which consistently delivers within company SLAs, and balances the needs of colleagues in operations, the commercial teams and the overall network..
- Process Management
- To plan and route applicable HGV fleet on a daily basis and plan van routes where applicable.
- Co-ordinate all trunk resources to ensure they are available to schedule, promptly reporting any delays or issues as appropriate.
- Brief and de-brief drivers on a daily basis maintaining regular contact to ensure all deliveries and collections are made on time and in compliance with current procedures.
- Manage the collection and delivery of all assets and consumables in line with the operations, assets team and customer requirements maintaining accurate records as required.
- Ensure all vehicles are maintained in line with current O'Licence and company requirements. Appropriately record, monitor and escalate any reported defects.
- Carry out transport administrative activities including (but not limited to), recording collection and scheduling paperwork, tachograph analysis and monitoring infringements in-line with company and regulatory requirements.
- Contribute to the provision of regular financial and performance reports to the business, identifying trends that can be used to inform continuous improvement.
- Team Leadership and Management
- Support recruitment activities for all drivers and relevant transport support staff, including agency staff, within the depot.
- Ensure all staff are subject to appropriate pre-employment checks, assessments and induction training. Routinely check Driving Licence for points to ensure they do not exceed the amount set by the company.
- Lead regular meetings and briefings to ensure effective communication with the team on business and personal performance within the Depot and across the network as a whole.
- Manage the attendance, conduct and performance of staff including addressing issues of unsatisfactory performance, attendance or conduct in line with policies.
- Provide cover for the Transport Manager as required in periods of absence, holiday etc.
- Legal and Regulatory Compliance.
- Monitor staff compliance with regulations in respect of driving hours, working time directives and road legalities. Ensure all staff are operating safely, efficiently and with due regard to ensuring quality standards are met, so that customers receive an excellent experience.
- Ensure compliance with all internal and external regulatory requirements, e.g. the Mail Integrity Code of Practice, Safety; Health and Environment regulations; Carriage of Dangerous Goods regulations; and, Data Protection and Information Security regulations etc.
- Monitor and maintain compliance with the security policy in transport working in close liaison with the Transport Manager to investigate and resolve any potential breach situations.
- Change Management
- Contribute to the ongoing development and continuous improvement of the transport department in liaison with the wider Transport Management team.
- Support the implementation of change in the team through clear and open communication of change.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Able to communicate effectively both on the phone, face to face and in writing to gain commitment from internal and external contacts at all levels.
- Able to work effectively as a part of a team demonstrating a hands on, energetic style with a 'can do, will do' attitude
- Excellent organisational skills, able to manage effectively in order to achieve deadlines through effective prioritisation and, where appropriate, delegation.
- Excellent understanding of UK and EU driving regulations, working time directives and tachograph compliance.
- Intermediate skills with MS Office particularly Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint skills for data analysis, presentation and reporting.
- Excellent geographical knowledge of the local and UK road networks
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION and or EXPERIENCE
- Typically we would estimate that it would take at least 2 years' experience in a busy transport team to acquire the knowledge and skills required for this role.
- Full driving licence (HGV Licence an advantage) and Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC)
- Previous experience working with Isotrak or equivalent telematics and tracking software.
- Flexible, and willing to respond to the needs of 24 hour operation in terms of working hours.
- Able to provide support away from the normal location of work on occasion as required by the business.
Apply today for a swift response!