Student & Academic Support Administrator
This post is located in the Student and Academic Support (SAS) Team embedded within a particular School.
The post holder is responsible for the delivery of allocated academic administration and student support relating to taught and/or research students and for ensuring high levels of customer support and student satisfaction. Key functions of the role include (but are not limited to):
- supporting the SAS Manager and SAS Leads through managing and maintaining lists of students for a variety of purposes (e.g. module attendance, academic programmes, examination boards, vivas and progress reviews, lists of students to be awarded degrees, lists of students to be awarded prizes);
- preparing and sending key communications to students, including contributing to course handbooks, virtual learning environments, lecture handouts and other course materials;
- undertaking a range of tasks relating to student and course-related events (e.g. study tours, group project presentations, managing deadlines for the submission of work for assessment by students);
- answering routine enquiries of staff and students on a wide range of matters relating to the academic provision of School or Theme;
- providing support to SAS Leads in the delivery and organisation of courses and their course elements (i.e. modules, examinations, case studies, industrial visits, guest lectures, group projects and individual research projects), including provision of appropriate clear, accurate and timely information to other areas of Education Services;
- providing specific advice and guidance to staff and students relating to the courses and programmes within the School and/or Theme;
- providing support for key University events in the student academic cycle (e.g. initial registration and graduation).
The post holder contributes significantly to the student experience of administrative services in his or her School/Theme. He or she will work very closely with other members of the SAS Team (and associated academic staff) to ensure that the student experience is effective, consistent and of a high standard.
Key to this role are:
- a broad understanding of the structure of the academic provision of the School/Theme and its administrative requirements;
- clear understanding and interpretation of the work processes, and particularly in relation to assessment rules and student records;
- a personable, confident and professional manner; and
- a proactive and team approach to managing any assigned duties.
Essential Skills & Experience:
- Minimum of 5 GCSEs including English and Mathematics;
- Demonstrable experience of working in an administrative office environment, using modern office equipment;
- Experience of data entry;
- IT literate, including word, email, internet use, and database applications;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Good communication skills in emails, formal letters and in person;
- Good grammar and spelling and attention to detail;
- Able to multi-task and prioritise;
- Flexible and able to work under pressure;
- An adaptable team member who on occasions is able to work on own initiative, unsupervised;
- Strong work ethic;
- An understanding of good customer service delivery;