We have an exciting opportunity to join a high performing and established team of IT professionals, responsible for the design, support, development and operation of the network infrastructure services that underpin all Cranfield University's IT services.
Supporting in excess of 1,600 staff and 4000 students. You will have the opportunity to implement network projects and assist researchers with the application of new innovative technologies.
You will ensure that the network infrastructure is highly available and secure, providing a quality platform for information systems and members of the University. You will use industry best practice methods and approaches to design, develop, test and implement changes to the network infrastructure that enhance and improve IT services as well as providing support to the service teams.
You will have worked in a similar role, designing, implementing and supporting network infrastructure services. Specialist knowledge of some specific networking technologies is required. Specific technologies include: IP networking protocols, switching, routing, 802.11 wireless systems, firewalls, network monitoring tools.
You will also have a degree in Computer Science (or related subject) or demonstrable equivalent experience, strong problem solving ability and good communications skills.
Excellent benefits including pension and generous leave entitlement.
Education / Qualifications
- Degree in Computer Science (or relevant subject) or equivalent demonstrable experience
- Relevant technical qualifications (e.g. CCNP, JNCP, CWNA)
- Specialist knowledge of specific network technologies
- Design, implementation and support of infrastructure systems
- Operating services within a large network infrastructure
- Network protocols
- 802.11 wireless systems
- Network monitoring tools
- Windows OS
- Intrusion Detection Systems
- System security tools
- Programming languages/scripting
- Extreme XOS
- HP Networking
- Data cabling
Skills / Aptitudes
- Ability to leverage appropriate technical tools to perform day-to-day administration tasks, root-cause analysis and service restoration (such as backup, restore, failover, log interpretation, and performance monitoring) for network systems
- Analytical skills to consider requirements in order to ensure complete and reliable solutions
- Ability to apply industry standard best practice in designing infrastructure solutions
- Good interpersonal skills ensuring users ranging from administrative staff to senior level executives articulate their requirements, explaining complex issues,
- Ability to convert business requirements into technical specifications and appropriate application
- providing training for systems and functionality.
- Ability to work at a high level of accuracy at the detail level to rigid and sometimes tight deadlines is critical to this role.
- Proactive team player with an enthusiasm for problem solving, planning and prioritising a complex and varied workload
- Excellent time-management