IT Systems Manager
- To ensure that all aspects of the systems infrastructure are developed, managed, operated and supported efficiently, delivering a high quality, high availability service to meet the evolving needs of the business, research and teaching needs.
- To develop and optimise the IT systems services by engaging with relevant stakeholders.
- To manage and monitor the day to day activities and guidance of the IT Systems team members. Ensuring team members understand the objectives and work together to achieve them.
- To work in collaboration with the Head of IT Infrastructure and other infrastructure teams in developing, implementing and monitoring a comprehensive enterprise wide Infrastructure strategy.
- To provide technical support and advice to both the IT Service desk and Service delivery teams, as well as the large and advanced user base
- Working with the IT information security team to maintain and safeguard data assets, by developing information security controls, disaster recovery and back-up procedures.
- To ensure the operation and quality of the systems infrastructure services is maintained to a high standard; covering performance, availability, business continuity and security.
- To design, test, implement, support the existing portfolio of systems infrastructure services and the delivery of new services as required. Systems infrastructure services include centralised file-store, Email, server environments, storage systems, data backup and supplementary support for research computing systems, desktop systems infrastructure and print services.
- To provide support and consultancy for school and departmental hosted services
- Provide input into the strategic direction and planning of systems team activities
- Provide third line technical support to the IT Service Desk and Service Delivery teams
- Responsible for managing your staff including performance, development and health and safety
- To keep up to date on relevant technology and actively look for improvements to service.
- Computer Science or related degree or equivalent qualification/demonstrable experience
- Experience of managing a group of IT specialists and processes including time, incident and change management.
- Experience of building, managing and maintaining highly available and secure datacenters services and systems.
- In-depth knowledge of advanced IT Infrastructure, compute and storage technologies and virtualization:
- SAN Storage
- Microsoft Active Directory
- Microsoft Exchange
- Microsoft SQL
- Backup technologies
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to engage and influence both high level University staff and external partners.
- Ability to under pressure work through complex IT problems.
- Ability to assess and organise resources, and plan and progress work activities.
- Ability to partner effectively with a wide variety of colleagues (academic and non-academic)
- Ability to work both as part of a team and independently with minimal supervision.
- Proactive team player with an enthusiasm for problem solving, planning and prioritising a complex and varied workload.
- Excellent time management skills to enable the throughput required to provide a quality support experience.
- Passion for understanding developments within the IT sector and translate those into recommendations for business improvements.