Dental Receptionist & Support Worker
Job Purpose: To provide reception, clerical and administrative support to the Leicestershire Dental Services using paper and computerised systems, and to help with the decontamination of instruments.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Communication & Relationship Skills
- Receive patients and their relatives into the department and advise clinical staff of patients' arrival.
- To check patients contact details against electronic records.
- To make and amend appointments for patients. This will include direct face-to-face contact, contact by telephone and by post.
- Deal with telephone enquiries about the company and in general terms, the type of care it provides.
- To explain NHS charges to patients using tact and empathy when there may be barriers to understanding.
- Good standard of education (Essential)
- Dental Receptionists Training Programme or equivalent (Desirable)
- Knowledge of sterilisation procedures (Desirable)
Areas of Experience & Knowledge:
- Reception experience (Essential)
- Knowledge of health, safety and security issues (Essential)
- Dealing with cash transactions (Essential)
- Basic computer skills (Essential)
- Ability to prioritise workload (Essential)
- Dental experience (Desirable)
- Knowledge of Dental Services and their roles (Desirable)
- Experience of completing NHS dental forms (Desirable)
- Typing and word processing (Desirable)
- Experience of dental software (Desirable)
- Good communication skills both oral and written (Essential)
- Clear and accurate written skills, including ability to complete forms accurately (Essential)
- Ability to empathise, reassure (Essential)
- Command of other languages (Desirable)
- To provide judgements involving facts or situations, some of which require analysis
- Demonstrate understanding and commitment to equal opportunities, equity and the promotion of cultural competency
- The post requires physical skills which are normally obtained through practice or during practical training
- There is a requirement for light physical effort for several short periods during a shift
- There is a frequent requirement to maintain concentration when dealing with patients and clinical colleagues; when checking in, sterilising and packing instrument sets correctly
- There is a frequent requirement to deal with patients with special needs, phobics, children and the elderly.
- Adherence to the Infection Control Policy will occasionally necessitate dealing with spills. Occasional verbal aggression may be encountered.
- Patient, calm, courteous and accommodating
- Team Player
- Smart appearance
- Ability to travel between clinics and other Service sites
- Ability to work flexible hours