Business Systems Analyst (Research and Learning)
We are recruiting for a Business Systems Analyst to join a small team tasked with supporting the provision and ongoing development of the Research and Learning technology ecosystems.
In this exciting role, you will take a lead role in the operational provision of training, consultancy and support materials for staff and students in the use of platforms and tools within the Research and Learning ecosystems. You will also be contributing significantly on development and implementation projects as the ecosystems evolve.
Educated to degree level in IT/Computer Science subject and/or equivalent experience, the ideal candidate will have proven structured analytical and problem-solving capability, demonstrable knowledge working with data-based systems and associated challenges in relation to customer-facing business systems and experience in developing and transitioning IT services from project lifecycle to operational state. In addition, experience with learning systems, e.g. Blackboard, Moodle or Canvas and/or research information systems, e.g. Converis or Pure would be highly desirable.
Education / Qualifications
- Educated to degree level in IT/Computer Science subject and/or equivalent experience
- Professional training in project management, business analysis, requirements engineering or benefits realisation
- Supporting a range of customers and stakeholders of various levels of seniority
- Demonstrable management of data-based systems
- Working as part of operational and project teams.
- Preparation and delivery of presentations and training programmes
- Proven track record in developing and transitioning IT services from project lifecycle to operational state.
- Worked in a technical role within Higher Education.
- Successful management and delivery of technology-enabling projects; with a strong technical background
- Experience with University research information systems, e.g. Converis or Pure
- Proven experience with Learning Systems, e.g. Blackboard, Moodle or Canvas
- Experience in UX design and implementation
- Managing Web Content Management systems implementations, changes and supporting users
- Working with relational database structures.
Demonstrable knowledge managing technical and administrative issues in relation to customer-facing business systems
Understanding of UK Higher Education.
Skills / Aptitudes
- Proven structured analytical and problem-solving capability;
- to extract detailed user requirements in order to ensure complete and reliable solutions
- Understanding of academic and professional publishing pathways and metrics
- Understanding of HEFCE REF2021 principles and processes.
- to analyse systems and processes from the business perspective
- to convert business requirements into technical specifications
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to engage and influence.
- Ability to assess and organise resources, plan and progress work activities.
- Ability to work collaboratively, partnering with a wide variety of colleagues (academic and non-academic).
- Ability to work both as part of a team and independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to learn quickly with the flexibility to adapt to change.
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills:
- extracting user requirements;
- explaining complex issues to senior members, both technical and non-technical staff appropriately;
- providing training to IT support staff;
- mentoring users on new functionality.
Good project management skills, with respect to both in-house development projects, and software procurement projects, including ability to manage project resources and exert influence to the benefit of the project.
- Strong team worker
- Customer orientated
- Effective communicator
- Problem solving ability
- Analytical skills
- Business awareness
- Attention to detail
- Completer / Finisher